Friday, January 19, 2007

Sprinkles Cupcakes, Los Angeles California



On my most recent visit to So. California I decided to fully experience the cupcake rage that is sweeping the nation and just now finally arriving in the midwest. During my visit I tried Yummy, Crumbs, Sprinkles, and Mrs Beasleys. Visiting with three other people, a myriad of options were selected at each and many pictures were taken.


This place seems really good.....until you realize that there are far better options to be had....and that you're waiting in a 1 hour line for a cupcake when you could've just gone to Crumbs down the street for a better cupcake and a shorter wait (recall, your car is getting charged like $1/15mins to sit in a garage.)



I wanted to like Sprinkles based on the hype, but honestly, the cakes just didn't do it for me. Texture was dry, Flavors were pretty plain compared to Yummy and Crumbs, prices were high, the line was long, and one of the 17 year old hipster dolts behind the counter actually yelled at me for taking a picture. "Dude" get a grip, they sell your mix at Williams and Sonoma in Ohio, its not that special!


While I appreciate the use of natural ingredients and both the Strawberry and Banana options were good, they weren't THAT good. Additionally, in the battle for "best Red Velvet" in LA, this place doesn't hold a candle to the options at Yummy or the cake at Doughboys.


Cheers to hype!

No comments: